Par Mrs Menenteau le 20 Janvier 2016 à 18:07
Today, you studied a text about spare-part babies.
Here is what you said about it:
Spare part baby : Definition
Both Anna and Jamie were created thanks to IVF to save their sick siblings :
They are spare-parts babies /saviour siblings / harvest babies.
To save their brothen and sister, they donate an organ they don’t need. However, to be sucessful, they must have the perfect genetic match. Jamie was too young to make his own choices whereas / while Anna didn’t want to donate her kidney because she doesn’t want grown-ups to decide for her. In addition, everytime her sister will be sick, she will have to give another organ.
Here are documents about spare-part babies (click on the pictures to read the different articles):
My Sister's Keeper trailer (Anna's story)
- Lesson: You are Anna: introduce yourself and tell about your situation using some gap fillers to clarify your point: WELL / WHAT I MEAN IS / I MEAN / WHAT I'M TRYING TO SAY IS THAT / YOU KNOW / YOU SEE
- Documents blog
Par Mrs Menenteau le 19 Janvier 2016 à 20:11
Today, you started with the correction of your tests and your oral presentations.
Then, you reacted to geneticist Lee Silver's words.
Here is what you said:
Lee Silver trusts human ethics so he is too naive. Parents want their children to be perfect / better than the others and are not able to resist the temptation to engineer their babies.
Written by Elsa
To finish, you imagined what a spare-part baby is.
- Recap: What is a spare-part baby in your opinion?
- DST samedi (réviser la méthodologie au dialogue) - cours 1ère
Par Mrs Menenteau le 13 Janvier 2016 à 18:53
Today, you briefly explained the origins and the evolution of in-vitro fertilization.
You gave your personal opinion about it: are you in favour of such evolution? Why? Why not?
You completed your list of arguments thanks to the text:
After you worked on the content, you studied the form of the essay:
- Rédiger la deuxième partie du sujet argumentatif à partir des arguments contre + la conclusion - 150 mots / Ecrire une ligne sur 2
- Commencer la fiche lexicale sur les expressions de l'opinion / accord / désaccord
- React to geneticist Lee Silver's words (52-55): do you agree with him? Why? Why not?
Par Mrs Menenteau le 12 Janvier 2016 à 20:35
Today, you started the unit with the document below:
Then, you focused on the progress of in-vitro fertilization thanks to the following text:
Here is what you said about it:
On the front page/ cover of a newspaper, we can see the picture of a baby named Louise who is the first test-tube baby : she was created thanks to / through in-vitro fertilization.
Thus, Louise is not an ordinary baby : she is the symbol of scientific progres.
Nowadays, you can design / engineer your baby by selecting its genes.
You can choose its physical appearance like its weight, height, hair colour and eye colour.
You can create a baby who is super-resistant / immune to diseases, so, you can prevent them.
Written by Houda.
- Lesson: You are a scientist leading a conference about in-vitro fertilization: tell about it
- Finish completing the lesson (gender / abilities)